While no one can stop Mother Nature from showing up at your doorstep, there are ways of controlling winter’s damaging effects on your property.
Top things to do before winter weather hits:
- Insulate walls and attics against drafts.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Have a contractor check your roof to see if it can sustain the weight of a heavy snowfall.
- Replace damaged, loose or missing shingles that may leak during a winter storm.
- Repair roof leaks and remove tree branches that could get weighed down with ice or snow and fall on your property or your neighbor’s.
- Clear your gutters.
- Turn off exterior faucets as these pipes can burst if they freeze.
- Drain your irrigation system.
- Divert water by adding extensions to downspouts so that water runs at least 3 to 4 feet away from the foundation.
- Tune up your heating system to avoid waiting in line for repairs on a cold day.